Sunday, November 06, 2005

GRAHAMSTOWN NATIONAL ARTS FESTIVAL

WORDFEST 2005
I had one the most enriching experiences at this year's Wordfest.
I never dreamt that a photo exhibition would inspire me to write poetry, but it happended. I wrote two poems inspired by the photography of Gregor Röhrig. He is a freelance phographer studying at Rhodes University. On June 23rd he participated in his first international exhibition in Rotterdam - an international GlobalBC meeting at the World Trade Centre, Rotterdam.
To view my poems "eclipse" written July 3, 2005 & "child of the soil" written July 4, 2005,
click here:
http://www.picturesforlife.blogspot.com/

I also had the honour of doing poetry collaborations with Jethro Louw, the Koisan Praise Poet & Ghetto Poet (see coffeebeans.co.za).
He performed some of his poems at the launch of his cd "Ray of light".
I met the co-owner of coffeebeans, Iain Harris who impressed me with his knowledge of art & music.
To visit their website, click:
http://www.coffeebeans.co.za/
I also met Mzwandile Matiwana, a poet from Cape Town. He launched his book of poems entitled "i lost a poem" which is based on actual events in his life. I also attended the launch of books by the Timbila Poets. They are Vonani Bila (Editor/Poet), Mpo Ramaano, Phumelelo Machika, Myesha Jenkins & Makhosazana Xaba.

I dedicate the following poem to Vonani Bila:

@ traffic lights
(for Vonani Bila)

the world stops
@ traffic lights
in dahl street
where truth dawns
on forgettable faces
& cardboard posters
in coarse hands

i turn the blind eye
& step on the gas –

sadness settles on sidewalks
as the boombox blasts “...imagine all the people…"


©2005 Selwyn Milborrow

Stuart commented on the fact that the poem ended just as he was getting into it. Well, it was written with exactly that in mind! Motorist do not wait too long at traffic lights. They pause briefly to observe the plight of the homeless and unemployed. We live in a world where we seldom stop to listen to others or our inner voices. We are forced by a red traffic light to pause for a moment, but as soon as the light turns green we step on the gas and off we go...

1 Comments:

At 7:59 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your poem, only things is that I seemed that you were just getting into the poem and it ended. It's the first poem I read, and it is very good. For a person that has Afikaans as mother tongue, congratulations on the use of the English language.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home